Monday, November 23, 2009

Do Wounding Friends Wind You Up?

Are you the type whose skin crawls when someone points out those things about you that could stand attention? For instance, if a friend of yours came to you and told you that you tend to talk more than you listen... how would you take it? What if you were questioned by a fellow Christian about your lack of ministry participation? Listen to what the wisest man who ever lived said...

Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend, BUT the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

I'll be the first to admit it... when somebody tells me something about me that needs to be changed I tend to get defensive at first but usually, as I think about it and the truth of it sets in, I see that the change would benefit me and those around me as well. Those words that shock us and even cause wounds are indeed faithful. The ones you need to watch out for are those who want to remain in denial about the need for change in life. One who only tells you how great you are all of the time surely seems like a good friend but in reality their kisses can prove deceitful.

Real friends blow kisses of encouragement but along with the kisses they shoot arrows of reproof.

What kind of friend are you? What kind of friends do you have? Are you helping them be what they need to be? Are they encouraging you in the right ways? Who knows... it may be time for a change.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

No comments: